The Best Things to Do in Southern Vermont
Southern Vermont is known for its rich history, vibrant arts and culture scene, and beautiful mountain views. There’s no shortage of ways to spend your days amidst this pastoral landscape. The Shires of Vermont is the perfect setting for your next peaceful retreat, romantic escape, or last-minute getaway. During your trip, explore classic New England charm around every corner and find out what makes Southern Vermont unique.
Want to learn more about our picturesque corner of the world? Request our free Southern Vermont Vacation Guide today. This all-in-one resource is all you need to plan an outstanding visit to the Shires of Vermont!
You Won’t Want to Miss These Things to Do in Southern Vermont
Adventures in Arlington
Arlington, VT is a small town between the Taconic Range and the Green Mountains. The Battenkill River flows through the heart of the historic village, making it the perfect place to explore the great outdoors. Our quintessential Vermont town offers something to visitors in every season, from skiing to hiking to kayaking. Don’t forget to put these attractions on your Arlington itinerary.
- Enjoy panoramic views of Equinox Mountain at Skyline Drive
- Embark on an outdoor adventure on the Battenkill River
- Go trout fishing
- Indulge in Vermont maple syrup at The Sugar Shack
- Hike part of the Appalachian Trail
- Have a tasty treat at the Village Peddler Chocolatorium
- Explore Vermont’s historic covered bridges
- Stay in a romantic roomat the Arlington Inn
Just 15 minutes away from Arlington, Manchester is a quaint New England town full of history, art, and culture. Beautiful marble sidewalks line the downtown, white church steeples dot the skyline, and awe-inspiring art galleries fill the streets. Admire the lovely natural landscape in one of the two shire towns in Bennington County, Vermont. Don’t miss our favorite Manchester attractions during your visit.
- Hear beautiful music at The Manchester Music Festival
- Visit Hildene, the historic Lincoln Family Home
- Shop at the Manchester Designer Outlets
- Visit the authentic Vermont Country Store
- Take a trip to the Southern Vermont Arts Center
- Shop for fresh produce at Manchester Farmers Market
- Go skiing at Bromley Mountain
- Play a round of golf at The Golf Club at Equinox
- Sample artisan cheese at North Meadow Farm
- Explore the American Museum of Fly Fishing
20 minutes outside of Arlington is Bennington, VT, the second shire town in the county. Here, you’ll see many of Vermont’s most famous historic sites, farms, breweries, and farmers markets. History buffs and nature lovers alike will find something to love in Bennington. How would you prefer to spend a day in this Southern Vermont village?
- Tour Bennington Museum
- Explore The Robert Frost Stone House Museum, the famous poet’s former home
- Visit The Park-McCullough House, an authentic Victorian mansion
- See a performance at Oldcastle Theatre
- Pick berries and shop for local products at The Apple Barn
- Buy beautiful handmade pottery at Bennington Potters
- Spoil yourself at Green Mountain Oasis day spa
- Enjoy a Southern Vermont craft beer at a Northshire Brewery
Need More Southern Vermont Vacation Inspiration?
We have your all-access resource for fun things to do in Southern Vermont!